Saturday, March 7, 2009

EVINRUD - 8

-

-
-
-
Green and grey flash before me, an abstract in motion. We swerve gnarled trunks, so close my jacket shaves bark. Rapid fire explodes behind me, a fraction of a second too late. They won’t send missiles, the forest is too precious.

Evinrud feeds the movement co-ordinates. It’s as seamless as breathing. I sense more than see where I am going. I can feel his excitement as we breach the perimeter and enter the shadow of the mountains. They’ll try to follow but they’ve got no chance in this terrain. No regular airmotor can catch us.

In and out around rocks and crevices, we don’t slow, don’t look back. We’re as good as home - bounty on board. The sweet taste of success, Evinrud’s as cocky as I am. Who else could get in and out of a military clearance zone with that little fuss.

This job will come with cream. Some for now, some for the salary, but a blow out is definitely on the cards. It’s less than an hour to Beijing if the wind is in my favour. I’m champing at the bit. A few more K’s of skimming the ground in this valley and we should be free to skyfly.
-
-
-
-

No comments: