Saturday, October 31, 2009

Evinrud - 18

-

-

-
The Difference Between a Secret and a Lie
Part 5 of 5

They come at me together. I catch a glint of the metal in Duey’s hand before my kick lands him flat on his face. Huey gets a punch to the throat and backs away in a choke.

‘You shouldn’t play with knives’ I say to Duey, who has nicked himself on the cheek with his own blade. ‘But I won’t hold my breath waiting,’ I say to Huey as he begins turning blue

Gabriel is always criticizing my smart mouth in these situations but I can’t seem to help myself. Call it adrenalin wit, but it’s about the only time I’m capable of joking.

Now the old lady has magiced up a broomstick and is swatting me with it. I try to think of what to say to her, instead I find myself grabbing the broom off her and breaking it over my knee. I give her a stare and she retreats to her doorway. What is the old bird’s problem.

The Triad suits are up now and come at me together again, knives out. Their signature move, didn’t work the first time.

‘Guess it’s time to clean up’ I say discarding the brush end of the broom.

Huey gets the broom handle to the face and Duey gets a reverse sweep taking out his legs. They are both down, but it’s got to be finished, so I take Duey out with the handle to the side of the head. He’s stone cold out of it. He’s the smaller one so I figure Huey can drag him out of here if need be.

The latter is trying to pull himself up holding his face still mute from the throat punch. I pick up his discarded blade and place my boot down on his chest with some force.

The old lady is complicating things again, she’s screaming something at me and this time she’s waving an umbrella.

I ignore her and hold the knife up to Huey’s throat. Leaning in with my most sinister expression I whisper, ‘There needn’t have been any trouble. You’ve got a half a minute to pick up your friend and get the hell out of here.’ Heuy’s lips are moving like he’s praying.

I’ve barely finishing speaking when the building’s front door swings open and the most beautiful creature I have ever seen steps through. She’s fiddling around in her purse but when she looks down and stares at me it feels like eternity. Eventually she breaks eye contact and I hear Huey gasping for air under me.

She looks at Huey and Duey, recognition and confusion crossing her face and then at the old woman.

The old woman is frantic now, screaming at the girl to go inside but she is frozen in place.

I snap out it and focus my attention on Huey again ‘Do you understand?’ He nods so I loosen the pressure on his chest slightly. I pat him down for weapons. Nothing, obviously didn’t think they would need much against one old lady.

‘That was foreplay, one more wrong move and you’re f*#$ed, okay,’

Huey nods again so I release him and step away, standing close to the girl.

It takes Huey a while to get Duey to his feet. He keeps losing his grip on him, bringing them both down. It’s like watching one of those olden day comedy sketches, the three stooges reduced to two.

The girl is standing still beside me, the old lady sobbing at her front door.
Eventually they reach the buildings front door, it’s shutting behind them when Huey finally gets his breath and balls back calling out ‘You’re f*#$ed motherf*#$er, f*#$ed, you hear me’.
-
-

No comments: