Monday, February 2, 2009

EVINRUD - 7

-
Gabriel meets me at the fire door and I duck and ride in after him. Down six floors before he pulls out a key and we exit the stairwell. There’s an elevator shaft and one door. A swipe access full floor apartment. No point memorizing the address though, by tomorrow he won’t be anywhere near here.

‘A difficult job,’ is the first thing he says.

‘Aren’t they all,’ I reply.

The brief is simple. Data pick up from a green zone research facility, west of Ulaanbaatar. Twelve hundred clicks north-west, no major mountain activity. The travel won’t be the hard bit.

A mid level scientist from a privately owned clean-air research lab within the zone was selling information. Apparently the lab wasn’t that clean.

I would have to get through the green zone to get to facility. Military defense, partly my own countries, but it wasn’t as if I could advertise my visit, wave the white flag and ask permission for entry. What I called pick up most people called theft.

My best option for a quiet entry was from the hilly northern perimeter. Evinrud had been fitted with an electro field scrambler. We would activate the security radars on entry but the breach would look like it was coming from the south. A decoy trekker will be hovering around the southern perimeter taking the heat off me.

The diversion should give me enough time to get inside the facility. Getting out again would be a matter of speed and agility. I smile when I think of that.
-

-
- -
-
- -
-
-
We cross into the green zone at 1305 hours. Right on schedule. Evinrud indicates the diversion is working but I stick close to the ground anyway, shadowed by trees the like of which I’ve never seen. But this isn’t a sight seeing adventure.

I breathe again once we’re inside the facility. The scanner on the door indicated security had been increased to Level 2. But it’s a civilian building and it will take them a while to process the change. No military presence inside. Being within the green zone is imperative for their research set up but they don’t want the army snooping around.

The swipe card I have been given gets me in from the roof. In and out, fast and agile I repeat once in my head. I breathe again then make the dash, using Evinruds sonar to avoid contact with the buildings personnel.

I have located the datapoint I need and Evinrud is in the process of downloading when the white coat walks in. Fuck, a chick. Her eyes widen in fear when she looks at me. There’s nothing for it, she has to go down.

The knock out tazer will give her a two or three hour sleep and a really fucking bad headache. Hopefully she won’t remember much.

I’m feeling pretty pleased with myself when we reach the roof again without any more contact. The outside is going to be harder, Evinrud will run the scrambler again but this time we have no other diversions.
-

No comments: